Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How to Flea Market Vol. IV


Now we have gone over the basics of taking your stuff to the flea market and making themost of it. Today, we are going to take a look at the other side of the story: Buying things, hopefully finding unique treasures. This is a lot like thrifting. Thrifting guides have been posted on numerous blogs, for example here, here, and here. And as I am a thrifting newbie, I will not repeat this great advice. However, there are a few things relatively unique to flea markets, so here is my list of things I found helpful:

  • Haggle. Always haggle. Even if you are perfectly fine paying the price they are asking for. You could be paying less.
  • Break out that poker face. Don’t show how much you love something. Some sellers might adjust the price if you seem like you’d be willing to more for it.
  • Again, beware of “professionals” (I wrote about this two weeks ago). They will ask for a higher price as amateurs would, so again, haggle. And if they don’t budge, only buy what you truly love and need. If not, say “Fine!” and walk away.
  • Look for quality. Do not be afraid to dig deep. Not everyone makes use of great presenting strategies (also see two weeks ago)…
  • Make sure you don’t buy anything damaged, or worse. It is called “flea” market for a reason.
  • Don’t go crazy buying just because it is so much cheaper than in stores. Keep in mind what you need and remember that even small amounts of money add up.
  • Towards the end of  the flea market, people might get anxious to get rid of more stuff, especially big things they do not want to take home again. Here’s where you come in and hopefully get a bargain. This is also a good time to go back to an item that was too expensive in the beginning.
  • And again, the most important point: HAVE A LOT OF FUN!!!  
What would you add to this list? I'd love to take your advice!

9 comments:

Virgit said...

such a nice post Dear thanks for sharing this dear have a nice day

Elle Sees said...

No advice from me, as I think you've covered it. The flea markets I remember are so much better than the ones now. I've been to two in GA and they were awful!

Summer-Raye said...

lol I love the first bullet, ALWAYS HAGGLE! Thats my motto too! Check out my blog- lets follow each other, let me know if you follow ill follow back!

xo,
Summer

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Thanks for the tips! I wish we had more flea markets here!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Style, She Wrote said...

Great tips! I think haggling is key. xo style, she wrote

LDM said...

i wish we had good markets here!

xx from hong kong :)
www.ldmldmldm.com

Josie said...

These are SUCH good tips, dear -- waiting until the end for bigger-ticket items is brilliant!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Lucinda said...

I don't think I can add on to your awesome list!

Fun post :)

www.oneofplenty.com

yiqin; said...

great post <3`