Monday, August 22, 2011

How Not To Pack For College

I am certainly not the most organized person in the world. That is actually an understatement, I’m not even semi-organized. Which is why I thought I should give y’all the opportunity to learn from my mistakes… So here is how you may be able to have a more successful packing process than I did, for all of you who haven’t left for school yet. This post is not necessarily about what to bring and what not to bring, as this is my first time leaving for college. Therefore I am far from being an expert, I’ll save that post for next year…

DO NOT:
Wait until three days before you leave to start serious packing.
Underestimate the sheer volume of your clothes.
Or shoes.
Or anything. Once it’s in a box, it grows or something. Don’t worry, I’ll test that theory in a science lab.
Turn on your computer. Hello distraction. Save the procrastination for school.
Be afraid of chaos. If you’re anything like me, it is inevitable.
Worry too much. There are very few things you truly cannot live without.
Forget anything. Haha, good one, I know.
I'll hopefully be unpacking these when you read this... Oh, the horror.

DO:
Buy more boxes than you think you need. Chances are, you’ll need them.
Clean your room before you pack. Things will get ugly, but you won’t go crazy as quickly as I did in my cluttered room.
Listen to music that makes you want to dance. It might speed things up.
Declutter as you pack. Things you completely forgot about might turn up, so now is a good time to get rid of them. Actually, that might be a DO NOT, as it creates even more chaos…

13 comments:

Monica {bohemian twilight} said...

i'm afraid i'm an almost-last-minute packer. but i'm a constant de-clutterer so i think that helps. :)

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I am quite organised when packing but these are good tips. Warmly hope you are well.xx

Lee Oliveira said...

I am very organised when it comes to packing.. but trying to think where I put a particular item its a draaaama
lee x

Brittany said...

bahahaha Love this post. Reminds me of my moving experience!

A said...

I love this post! I'll have to refer back to it next year!

Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle said...

LOL...I'm the same way girl sometimes way too organized and clean freak...Can't help it.! LOL
Great post.

PS. Thx for your comment on my blog and would love to follow each other if you like. Let me know.


<3 Marina
Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

Baby Budget Blog said...

Hey there! Thanks so much for the comment on my blog!! Visit again soon and have fun at college!

www.plentyforpennies.com

Kelly-Ann said...

:D Hah! This is all excellent advice. I'm great at last minute packing. For me, urgency just makes things go more smoothly because I have less time deliberate about which clothes, books and whatnot I want to take - I just run on instinct and throw stuff in the bag. On the way BACK anywhere though, repacking has always been an issue.. I can't count the amount of times I've left my sodding toothbrush places.

ClouDesign said...

I'm leaving tomorrow but haven't started packing >.< it will be disaster !

Mrs. T said...

Same goes for moving...
Just moved to Georgia...
EEEEK! TOO MUCH STUFF.
Loved getting rid of the clutter!!
I found your blog through Mrs. Capretta's blog that I did a guest post on. I appreciate your kind remarks. :)
Loving your blog!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Great advice! I agree with Mrs. T above, the same really does go for moving!

I am hosting a giveaway today that you might want to check out :)

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

Haha oh dear! At least you got it all done :) I am exactly the same, I wish I had seen your list when I moved out!

According to Annika said...

Aah, this is all sooooo true... I've had to pack and then unpack my life quite a few times, and it just doesn't get any easier (or less booooring)!

Just wanted to say that I love the way you write. It's so very engaging, witty and you really do have a way with words!

Much love,
Annika