Friday, August 19, 2011

Friend Friday: About Dreams and Aspirations

I need everyone to conjure up a mental drum roll, please. Because today is the very first day in the history of this blog that I am participating in Katy Rose’s Fashion Beauty Friend Friday! Today is all about dreams and aspirations, and what would be a better day to think about that than two days before I leave for college?

1.    Fess up - if you could do anything professionally what would it be?
I’d be a writer. Every since I knew how, I have been writing. Sure, there were other dream jobs in between, such as being a marine biologist. But I have always been writing and a year ago, I started freelancing for a local newspaper. And that is what I want to do: Freelance for several newspapers and magazines (preferably high profile ones… come on, a girl can dream!), but also write fiction (that will be published, and read by many. Hopefully).
However, that is not all: In this vision, I am also a professional photographer, and I still blog. 
I might be using a more modern version then...
You thought that was it? Nope. I’d also love to have my own café/ coffee shop. I want to move to a beautiful place and open a café where people can feel at home. And it doubles as an art gallery, so all pictures on the walls will be for sale and there will be constant change. It will sort of be a collective, as I do not want to do it on my own, but with a group of friends. This plan is by no means specific, we don’t even know where we’d like it to be. We were thinking maybe Oxford or Venice. But I recently started a scrapbook, so I don’t forget all the ideas I have now… 
            2. What draws you to this?
Freedom. And the fact that I’d be doing what I love every single day. That I could live where I choose. That nothing could stop me from being who I want to be.

3. When did you first start dreaming about this ideal?
I started dreaming about the writing part a few years ago, becoming more serious about it after an internship at a newspaper in ninth grade. The café is a relatively new idea, probably no older than two years.
Oxford
4. What's holding you back from going all in?
I want to finish college, and probably grad school first. And I sort of need some capital to make that café happen…

5. Sometimes the first step is the hardest... what's one step you can take now on the way to realizing your dream?
Writing a lot. Getting a job in a café so I can learn the works. Making sure that dream doesn’t become one of those dreams that one likes to dream, but forgets that the initial plan was to make it come true.

29 comments:

Maria said...

Interesting dream, I wish you someday you'll be opening a cafe and a professional writer :) Just don't forget to strive hard and always remember that life isn't easy, you should always put your best foot forward. :)

Have a great day babe!

Candy said...

Amazing dream and one that I share somewhat.

Nanne said...

Great dream, and it's too often the money (or rather lack of it) that's holding us back, isn't it? I wish you luck reaching your goal and fulfilling your dream!

Monica {bohemian twilight} said...

what ever you do, don't put it off it it feels like it's bursting out of you.

Katy Rose said...

As a journalist and writer, I'd humbly suggest you hold off on the masters. There is no place I know of that having a masters would land you a job faster than not having one. Writing is about proving your worth in clips and experience. I'd say keep writing, freelancing, pitching, and putting things out there. It's a long process but if you can start while you are still in school the transition after school is a lot easier.
Oh, and network like crazy. I've gotten more freelance jobs from someone knowing someone looking for a writer than I have from pitching and answering ads.
Just some thoughts... Katy

Kimberlee said...

Well having a blog is a great way to start your writing career. I've always been a writer myself. Best of luck!

ClouDesign said...

Having your own coffee shop is something great ! however I'm thinking about confectionery - I love chocolate in all variants <3

Kristin said...

I'm write there with you! I only wish I had pursued my writing passion ten years ago instead of two!

Dress Me Polly said...

I want to own a cafe too!
I work in international development and biodiversity conservation in Laos, and I have a friend who worked here for the UN for a few years, and then... had enough and started up a bar/cafe. Its the best one in town. Kinda wish I could do that too.
Keep writing!

Elly said...

What a fun combination of passions! I love the idea of your cafe/art gallery as a spot to make people comfortable and welcomed.

Elizabeth and Kyle @ Love Is the Adventure said...

Awww, I love your dreams...

So are you majoring in writing in college?

Thanks for stopping by the blog by the way! It was lovely to have you visit. :) Come back any time.

Rosa Blanca said...

great to know more about you :)

xx
Rosa

My Stylish Little Secret
http://mystylishlittlesecret.blogspot.com

Erika Lee Sears said...

You can do it all :) the first step is making.

happy Friday.

Summer said...

I dream of freedom too....but then I had two kids. =) What was I thinking??? haha!

btw, LOVE your blog, your writing AND your pictures...to die for!

Zabrinah said...

Oh man! I love this post!!! Most people don't realize the significance and dreaming and planning accordingly. You do see the importance!

"Making sure that dream doesn’t become one of those dreams that one likes to dream, but forgets that the initial plan was to make it come true."

Couldn't have been said any better! You keep it up! Keep on writing! You're fabulous.

Best wishes,

~Zabrinah

Fabienne Jach said...

You're headed there, it sounds like it's in your future. Yay!
:) f
The House in the Clouds

Melis said...

good post! i'm a writer :) short stories. love it.
thanks for commenting!
http://hammocksandtrampolines.blogspot.com

Miles Of Style said...

i'd love to be the editor of fashion magazine..or maybe a designer with my own little boutique...ahh one life to live and too many dreams :)) hope all of yours come true dear. have a great weekend!

The Frat Pack + Me said...

Sounds like the perfect dream to me! I love writing, photography + cafes!

Laura (White Winters) said...

Good luck achieving your goals!

Laura
whitewinters.blogspot.com

Shoe said...

Amazing dream, it was great to read about! I would love to be a writer, but I have no business acumen, so I don't know about the cafe part. All the best!

Hannah said...

lovely post. thanks for your comment. you have such a nice blog


raspberrykitsch.blogspot.com

xx

The Foolish Aesthete said...

These are terrific dreams and aspirations. Go for it!

http://thefoolishaesthete.blogspot.com

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

a great dream! sometimes it feels so good to just write it out. good luck :)


Sam @ fitness food & faith

What I Did Today said...

Such fun dreams! I love that you know exactly what you need to do to get the ball rolling towards making your dreams happen. Best of luck!

LDM said...

goodluck! hope your dream comes true.

xx from hong kong :)
www.ldmldmldm.com

alexandra.samarina said...

Hi dear! Thanks for your comment! Yah, I know this problem, it also took me a while to get used to wear hats. But...but when you start you can't stop anymore! You go girl! You'll like your reflection in the mirror with a hat on!:)))

Love this inspiration post of yours! The cameras are amazing!

X

Alexandra

http://fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

Kristal said...

I love that your pursuing your dream! beautiful answers xx

http://thegypsyandthefox.blogspot.com/

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I enjoyed reading about the shape of your dreams. xx